It should go without saying that a well-stocked first aid kit is an absolute must for every trip into the backcountry. Winter or summer, you can never be sure what will happen out there, and the mantra of every outdoor traveler needs to be preparation first, or consequences later.
With this in mind, Adventure Medical Kits has been selling prepared first aid kits for backcountry adventurers for years, all packed up in road-ready containers that take the work (and for anyone who has ever shopped for multiple sizes of Band-Aids and hard-to-find liniments at the drug store can attest, it is work) out of preparing a first aid kit.
With these reusable prepared kits, all you have to do is pick it up and go (provided you keep it stocked and maintained as it gets used).
Adventure Medical Kits’ Ultralight & Watertight line is uniquely suited for snowshoers and winter travelers. Ranging from the ultra compact .3 kit, which is designed for one person, all the way up to the .9, which can support 1-4 people for trips of up to four days, the company offers a solution for just about any activity.
Whatever size you need, the Ultralight / Watertight Series kits all come packed in Adventure Medical’s ultralight and waterproof DryFlex bags and include a wide range of medical supplies (quantities vary by kit size, of course).
Here’s the general rundown (examples taken from the large .9 size kit):
- Inner DryFlex bags and outer seam-sealed siliconized nylon bag with water-resistant zipper.
- Irrigation syringe and wound closure strips to clean and close wounds.
- Medications to stop diarrhea and stomach distress.
- A mini roll of duct tape for emergency repairs.
- Medications to treat pain, inflammation, and common allergies.
- Wraps and bandages to immobilize fractures and provide support.
- Trauma pad and wide elastic wraps to control life-threatening bleeding.
- Prepared moleskin patches to protect and treat blisters in the field.
- Plenty of adhesive bandages.
But, as the name implies, light weight and waterproof performance are the highlights of the Ultralight & Watertight line, and they don’t disappoint in either department. And they’re re-sealable, so you aren’t forced to buy a new kit every time you use it. A smart buy all around.
The Ultralight & Watertight kits are available in a range of sizes direct from Adventure Medical Kits and from a range of outdoor retailers.